Purpose of Accountability
The purpose of this time is to learn how each leader’s walk with Jesus is going and come alongside them in gospel-encouragement.
- To help them see the idols in their life
- To keep them accountable as they fight against sin
- To teach them to spend quality time with Jesus and submit all areas of their life to Him.
- To help them lead others
- Create an environment that the student feels safe to share all areas of his life. What is said in the group stays in the group.
- Lead in Transparency. By being vulnerable in your life and sharing your struggles, it produces an environment where students feel comfortable and challenged to share their struggles.
- Be an encourager! Focus on the evidences of grace & celebrate God’s work in their lives!
- Focus on the Roots, not the fruit.
- Fruit = behavioral level (what) | Roots = worship level (why)
- Goal of discussion/questions is to get at the root of the issues
- Fight sin on the root level (idols, desires, motives, values)
- Encourage growth on the root level (enjoying God, loving God/others, valuing what God values)
- When learning of a student’s sin struggle:
- Don’t be surprised. Humbly & gently shepherd them, knowing they are young & immature. Be as patient with them as God is.
- Be patient with recurring sin, but continue to challenge the student towards maturity.
- Look for:
- (1) pattern of sin (2) hiding sin (3) dismissing sin (blame shifting, justifying, excusing, etc.)
- “Are they fighting sin?” | Not: “Are they always winning?”
- Abidance: How has your time with God been this week? Have your motives in this time been pure?
- Evangelism: Have you looked for opportunities to invite people to Refuge? For opportunities to have Gospel conversations with them?
- Discipleship: Have you spent time with your key guys or girls from your community group? What are you intentionally teaching them this month?
- Have you been a testimony this week to the love of Jesus Christ with both your words and your actions?
- Have you been exposed to sexually alluring material or allowed your mind to entertain inappropriate sexual thoughts about another this week? Have you been above reproach in your relationship with your significant other?
- Personalized question-anxiety, contentment, masturbation, stewardship, Time management/studies, personal appearance, jealousy, feeling inadequate, insecurity/pride, excessive drinking, etc.
- Have you given into any addictive behavior this past week? (alcohol, tobacco, video games, TV, etc.)
- Have you been honoring, understanding, and generous in your important relationships this week? Is there anyone you remain angry at or hurt by? If so, what steps do you need to take to reconcile these relationships?
- Have you damaged another person by your words, either behind his or her back or face-to-face?
- Have you lacked integrity in your financial dealings this week? Have you made any impulse purchases that were not Spirit led? Have you looked for opportunities to give of your finances and/or resources?
- Have you elevated anything above the place of God this week?
- Have you been completely honest with us tonight?